top of page

If you would like to contact us please


Banner Grandstand

© Banstead Athletic FC 2015-18


Season 2013-2014


Bedfont & Feltham 5 Banstead Athletic 1


Jack Johnson's first season in charge of Banstead Athletic finished in a defeat in their final match which was disappointing but at the same time the side showed encouraging signs for the future. Again it was a game they could have been two goals to the good within the first twenty minutes had they taken their chances, they eventually lost 1-5. The scoreline flattered the home side as Jack Johnson had pushed his team well up the field in an attempt to get the goals to win the game late into the match, leaving just two at the back. It was a bold move. He came on with a few minutes left but couldn't change the final outcome. For the record Jahmal Ramsey got a hat-trick, (64,66,89 mins) his first goal was a very good strike that he took well, it flew past Knight in the visitor's goal. Philogene (22 mins) and Al Musswi (84 mins) got the others for the home team. For Banstead, Player's player of the year Joe Blendell took his chance from the penalty spot sending the home keeper the wrong way. This a good young side that has gained valuable experience this season with Jack Johnson in charge. Next season looks promising.



Banstead Athletic 0 Farleigh Rovers 4 CCL First Division.


After the 6-1 thrashing of Dorking in the week this was not how Banstead Athletic wanted to sign off their season at home. Again it was one of those games where they just couldn't get into the match. Rovers just above them in the league were more positive in their approach and scored from a free kick from Scott Robson about twenty five yards out from goal. It beat Jordan Knight down by his right hand post. Knight said afterwards "I just didn't see it".

  Banstead's Max Johnson man of the match covered virtually every blade of grass, when he didn't have the ball he chased and hustled the visitors. Rovers scored their second five minutes before halftime with Liam Neaves supplying the final touch. Athletic had a chance in the second half through Darren Titre-Wilson whose vicious shot hit the under side of the bar bounced down but not into the net. Substitutes were made on both sides. Rovers third was scored with a quarter of the match left from Juvaun Henri and within a minute Rovers had their fourth with a through ball to Jack Narrine one on one with the home keeper he calmly slotted the ball past Knight and into the net. Banstead's last match is away to Bedfond & Feltham this Saturday.




Banstead Athletic 1 Eversley & California 0 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic went into this match on the back of a 0-5 thrashing against Worcester Park. Jack Johnson Banstead's manager said "We addressed everything bad from last Thursday's game and were focused on putting it right. I had a look at myself and what I could do better". he went on "I made a few big decisions for the benefit of the team. We changed our shape and were focused on being hard to beat and we competed for every ball". The home side were rarely troubled by a top three side who had been playing well this season and had they got the points gone second. Banstead could have scored four or five because they were on top for long periods. They scored though the only goal of a pulsating game through striker Kyle Green. Jack finished by saying "I was very happy with the boys today, we looked defensively very comfortable whilst causing a constant attacking threat. If all eleven players perform we can beat everyone. A very rewarding day at the office".



South Kilburn 1 Banstead Athletic 0 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic should have won this match by a large margin had they put their many chances away. The three points though were gratefully accepted by the home side when a decision by the referee was changed after he spoke to his linesman and a goal was awarded.

Jack Johnson tried to turn the game around with a change of personnel but that didn't work. Banstead's finishing was poor and their awareness of their fellow players who were in better positions to score was not taken into consideration. This game will not stay in the memories of the Banstead's supporters who travelled there for too long I wouldn't think.

    Next up for Banstead Athletic a 'local derby' against Worcester Park FC on Thursday (tonight) at Merland Rise.



Banstead Athletic 5 Epsom Athletic 3 CCL First Division


What an cracker of a game. The home team were 1-3 down by halftime. Banstead's goal being scored by Charles Marshall- his first of the season-. At halftime Jack Johnson the A's manager made a substitution bringing on Tyrone Newton in place of Jake Richards. Also within ten minutes he made two more changes in Dave Burton and Alvin Sarmiento coming on. A free kick twenty five yards out from Newton flew into the net with the visiting keeper at full stretch unable to stop it. An absolute scorcher of a shot. Kyle Green added two more well placed goals in between those Alvin slipped the ball under the keeper with a well drilled shot. Banstead ended up winning this match 5-3. Their second half performance was outstanding.


Banstead Athletic 2 Staines Lammas 1 CCL Division One


This match for Banstead Athletic against their opponents in a cup semi-final next tuesday evening was a much better display than saturday's heavy defeat against Knaphill. They had an early scare but the A's did do very well to come away with a win. Although they conceded an early goal on thirty minutes from Joe Hughes, they equalised on the half hour with a flick up and beautiful finish from Jake Richards who smashed the ball passed the visiting keeper his first goal for the club in only his second appearance. Banstead played so much better. When they lost possession they wouldn't give up and fought to regain the ball. Into the second half Staines Lammas had chances but couldn't finish. On seventy minutes captain Daniel Coombes raced down the left wing and passed any opposition, floated the ball into the area and Tyrone Newton was on hand to double Banstead's lead. Staines Lammas to their credit came at the home side but Banstead stood firm for a valuable three points.



Banstead Athletic 1 Knaphill 8 CCL Division One


Banstead Athletic were taught a lesson in finishing on Saturday in this one sided football match where they were thrashed at Merland Rise. Every time Knaphill who were second in the league at the time went forward they looked like scoring. It could have been double figures in the end. It was a catalogue of errors on the A's part. It started within five minutes of the start when the visitors were gifted an own goal. Number two came on ten minutes when Jimmy Norman lobbed the home keeper. Emmanuel Oloroyde then got the first of his three on the fifteen minute mark. By halftime he had completed his hat-trick. Banstead did have a chance just before the break but it went high over the bar. Jack Johnson made all three subs at halftime to try and turned the game around. At 0-5 it was going to take something better than the A's had shown in the first half. Unfortunately the home side conceded within a minute when Charlie Postance scored. David Burton did get one goal back for Banstead on seventy nine minutes when he was in front of goal. Knaphill capped a memorable match for them with their eighth from Timmy Taylor with seven minutes left. Knaphill could have had a nineth but the bar and post and the arms of Banstead's keeper came to the rescue.



Sandhurst Town 1 Banstead Athletic 4 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic scored four goals in this match but it could have been more. From Jordan Knight in goal to the forward line the team ticked over like a well oiled engine. Everyone knew what they had to do. After just three minutes they took control with a goal from David Burton who took his chance very well. Town did draw level five minutes after when there was a mis-understanding at the back. That only spurred Athletic on. On the half hour James Robertson's strong header powered into the net as Banstead regained the lead. Then a third courtesy of a unselfish act when Kyle Green took the ball forward into the area, he could have had a shot but he made sure of Banstead's third as he saw Daniel Coombes across from him also in the area Green passed for him to calmly stroked the ball home. Jack Johnson Banstead's manager made some changes and gave a first start to new signing Jake Richards. Banstead's fourth came on seventy eight minutes when Alvin Sarmiento scored his debut goal with a neat finish from a Coombes pass. Jack Johnson obviously pleased with the match commented afterwards,"Nice to get the four goals, Jordan Knight in goal made a great save at 1-1".



Banstead Athletic 1 Sheerwater 1 CCL First Division.


Banstead Athletic should have won this game with all the clear cut chances they created but could not score from in the last twenty minutes. Sheerwater had already been beaten twice by the home side once in a cup match. This league game however was different as the visitors were determined not to go behind . This time they took the lead after Craig Prendergast neatly lobbed the home keeper fourteen minutes before half time. Banstead came out after the break with a determination to get back into the game. Their workrate was increased and Sheerwater had no answer to it. The home side got their just reward in the seventy eighth minute with a strong header from James Robertson. Banstead couldn't get that second break through though when they missed four good chances to wrap up the points late in the game.



Banstead Athletic 0 AFC Croydon Athletic 2CCL First Division


In this match the home side found themselves up against a very strong and organised team. Banstead should have taken the lead on two occasions just after the start of the game, but failed to do so. Against the run of play the visitor's took their chance when after a good move a cross was put into the area Louis Blake was on hand to slide the ball into the net from a yard out with just nine minutes on the clock. Banstead for all their efforts just didn't have any answers, some of the passing and finishing was not going to bother the visitors. AFC Croydon Athletic doubled their lead in the sixteenth minute through Jo Loyza who found the net when well placed. The visitors were the dominant side and had more chances before the break. Second half Banstead had an early chance from a corner and a free kick but again they couldn't make a break through. Speaking after the game Jack Johnson Banstead's manager said " We've had a disappointing couple of games. I cannot fault the boys workrate but in the last third no one had any quality with their pass or shot. We have been creating chances in the last three games but have scored only one goal from open play. It's not good enough". He concluded "On a more positive note I'm very happy with our new signing Jordan Knight in goal for us, on loan from AFC Wimbledon. He looked very comfortable.


Sheerwater 0 Banstead Athletic 1


Banstead Athletic played their first match last Saturday since before Christmas.

    They were away to Sheerwater in a cup game. This match was played on a heavy pitch in places, credit must go to the host club being able to stage it after all the very bad weather we have experienced.

    It wasn't a classic but it was competitive. Played in a good spirit by both sides and with the referee Mark Ford allowing the game to flow. Banstead had a good first half, along with some additional signings in the transfer window they were able to cope with their hosts. The only goal of the match came in the 26th minute from the penalty spot after a good ball through midfield to Tyrone Newton. While bearing down on goal he got into the opposition area but was brought down resulting in the spot kick which Banstead's Darren Titre-Wilson dispatched very well. The second half didn't live up to the first as the pitch eventually started to sap players strengths. Sheerwater rallied and caused the visitors some problems with a number of forays and a batch of late corners but Banstead held firm to ease into the semi-finals.

Banstead: Mukoro, Lang, Titre-Wilson, Popovic, Fitzgerald, Blendell, Robertson (Mensah), Burton, Newton (Targett), McClaren (Coombes), Johnson.


Worcester Park 4 Banstead Athletic 3 CCL First Division.


Banstead Athletic found themselves 3-0 up against the home side by halftime. Somehow though they managed to lose 4-3 by the final whistle. It all started so well on twenty minutes a long kick by Mukoro in the Banstead goal found Kyle Green who slipped it through to Tyrone Newton and with a sweet flick he lifted it over the home keeper. For their second Newton passed to Green who again was the provider he in turn found James Robinson in the eighteen yard box who smashed it into the net. For their third Steve Tyson the A's captain passed to Green and this time he finished very well rounding a defender before planting the ball into the net. Into the second half and a mistake by Mukoro in the A's goal gifted Park their first goal within two minutes of the restart. This was credited to Chaney. Kyle Green was shown a straight red card and that let in Park to score their second with a lob over the A's keeper by Chaney. Banstead's passing and general retention of the ball in the second half was poor. Park couldn't believe their luck as they drew level with Cheesman heading their goal. To complete a miserable second half for the visitors Park claimed their fourth on eighty minutes through Webb. Banstead entertain Farleigh Rovers at the weekend at home and they will have to tighten up in a number of areas if they are to get anything out of that match.



Banstead Athletic 2 CB Hounslow Utd 1 CCL First Division


Jack Johnson made four changes to his starting line-up from the previous game and it made a difference. The A's seemed to have a hunger to succeed against the bottom side in this division. On eighteen minutes Max Johnson, Jack's brother picked up a pinpoint pass and with a scorcher of a shot he hit the ball over the tall visiting keeper and into the net from 25 yards out. Banstead were now in control of the game although United did cause them a scare on the half hour when Stephen Lang cleared an effort from them off the line. After the break Darren Titre-Wilson came on in place of Elliott Nelmes and caused the visitors no end of problems for the rest of the match with his speed and deft touches of the ball. With forty eight minutes on the clock Athletic doubled their lead after another good piece of footbal. Jose Capita's initial shot was saved, Kyle Green popped up with a powerful header which was parried by United's keeper but only out to James Robertson who blasted the ball back passed him and into the net.

    Jack made two other substitutions during the second half. Kyle Green was unlucky not to make it three nil to the home side on sixty nine minutes when his shot was blocked by their keeper. United did find the back of the net in injury time but Banstead Athletic had the game well sown up by then. Three more points to move them four points clear of danger. Next weekend a local derby for them against Worcester Park away at Green Lane.  




Banstead Athletic 2 Spelthorne Sports 2 CCL First Division


    On a sunny afternoon at Merland Rise Banstead Athletic took on a good side in Spelthorne Sports. Within three minutes of the start Spelthorne had taken the lead from a good cross by Oliver Fayed to Adam Williams who placed the ball past A's keeper Musslewhite. Within three minutes though the A's were level, a good cross from the right by Adam Cheadle and Tyrone Newton was on hand to score his first goal for Banstead with a cracking shot that whipped past White in the Spelthorne goal. Spelthorne did have chances to take the lead but it stayed 1-1 until halftime. With the second half just a minute under way Banstead took the lead through Steve Tyson the A's captain, who headed down a pinpoint cross from the left by Tyrone Newton into the net passed the visiting keeper. The game carried on with chances for both sides. Banstead were six minutes away from a well earned three points in a game they more than held their own in when a lapse of concentration allowed Spelthorne Sports to take a share of the points through Oliver Fayed. After the match Jack Johnson the A's manager said "A better application from the boys today. Our shape was a lot better and we looked more of a team. Steve Tyson & Tyrone Newton both got off the mark which was pleasing. If we stay organised off the ball the quality in attacking areas will cause teams problems this year".


Banstead Athletic 2 Cobham 3     CCL First Division


     There were two good appeals for penalties in this match not given and one that ultimately won the game for Cobham was dubious to say the least. Jack Johnson, Banstead Athletic's manager said "It was a very disappointing result, at times we look comfortable, too comfortable."

Banstead went behind on twenty one minutes after Harry Cobb of Cobham grabbed the lead. In the space of a minute the A's had equalised after Darren Titre-Wilson was brought down in the area and he got up and took the spot kick and drilled it passed Craig Taylor in the visitor's goal. That penalty kick-started the game for Banstead and on thirty seven minutes Tyrone Newton for the second match in a row powered down the pitch round a player and scored from an acute angle with Taylor helpless. Jack Johnson said "Second half we came out happy with the way things were going and feeling very much in control of the game. We kept the ball for fifteen minutes but without really hurting them". Banstead then got caught and Cobham drew level on sixty six minutes through Scully-Rogers. Then the penalty which sealed Cobham win, two players fell over each other but the referee saw something in it and blew his whistle for the spot kick. Cobham's Cobb took the penalty and scored.


Banstead Athletic 1 Bedfont & Feltham 4 CCL First Division.


    In this match up to half time you wouldn't have thought the visitors were third in the First Division and Banstead Athletic were tenth as the home team were running the show but only had Tyrone Newton's opener to show for it, his fourth this season. According to Jack Johnson the A's manager "It was a good first half performance, the boys looked in control", he said. The second half was mostly Bedfont & Feltham. They rattled in three goals in the space of twelve minutes and had undone all the hard work the A's had managed in the first half. A fourth on ninety minutes capped a very good afternoons work for them. Johnson said after the match " It all changed for us, we stopped working for each other and just got over run and couldn't cope with their switch of momentum, I'm very disappointed".


Eversley & California 3 Banstead Athletic 0 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic are lacking the killer finish when in front of goal at the moment. In this match the A's had three reasonable chances in the first half of a game littered with eight bookings (four for each side) and a straight red card for a Banstead Athletic player for a stamping right in front of the referee.

    On a good playing surface both sides had a point to prove. There were some hefty tackles going in and the referee had his work cut out throughout the afternoon. Eversley took the lead after only eleven minutes through Liam Painter, who brushed away any challenges and slotted the ball home after a pass into the area. Banstead had their chances but they were either beaten away by Shelley in the home goal or they were wide of the mark. Into the second half and with sixty one minutes on the clock the home side got their second after some good movement this time scored by Bradley Cann. By now the A's had made their quota of substitutions. Shelley made a long kick up field which caught out the A's defence, Matt Baker took advantage of the situation and with Musselwhite coming off his goal line Baker calmly lifted the ball over the advancing keeper and into the open goal to make it 3-0.


Banstead Athletic 2 South Kilburn 1  RPM Records Division One Challenge Cup 1st round


Banstead Athletic went into saturday's cup game confident and well prepared. With the signing of Connor Maclaren from Cobham and others now returning to fitness Jack Johnson the A's manager said "I am now happy with the squad and hopefully now we can get our season rolling"! he went on "A decent first half performance saw us go in at half time 0-0. We came out the second half and started right away and went 1-0 up within three minutes with a great strike from Darren Titre-Wilson. We then had more chances unfortunately we didn't take those and got punished when they levelled the scores through Oyaka on sixty minutes when the game should of been out of sight" He continued "With the game level we had a slight wobble for a period but unlike previous weeks we seemed to grind it out and always looked dangerous going forward. With four minutes left on the clock Tyrone Newton was brought down in the box and Darren Titre-Wilson put the penalty away which rounded off a good performance from Darren for his double"! Jack Johnson finished by saying "There's still a way to go, but I'm happy I've got enough in the strong nucleus in squad now to kick on. Just need to keep everyone fit, there really is competiton for places now, which is good and hopefully that will keep people on the toes"!


Banstead Athletic 0 Phoenix Sports Club (1982) Ltd 2


Banstead Athletic began this match with confidence which showed when Tyrone Newton had his effort saved after twenty five minutes. The A's did keep their opponents at bay although Phoenix Sports did have a number of chances and had it not been for a little wayward finishing and some outstanding saves from Ryan Musselwhite in the Banstead goal the away side would have taken a lead into the break. Jack Johnson the A's manager said "We knew today's game was going to be tough but felt we could cause Phoenix problems by creating chances if we could just tighten up at the back". Into the second half and Phoenix took an early lead with forty seven minutes gone on the clock after a good move between Daryll Wheeler and Miles Cornwell who cut the ball back to Alex Nelson who blasted the ball into the net. Johnson said " We stayed in the game until the last five minutes when they made it two with Daryll Wheeler slotting the ball home" he concluded "We just couldn't find a break through". Next up for Banstead is another cup match this time against CCL Premier Division side Colliers Wood Utd this saturday at Merland Rise.


Banstead Athletic 3 Colliers Wood United 2 AET


This was a pulsating cup tie with Banstead Athletic playing probably their "Best forty five minutes of the season" according to the A's manager Jack Johnson. Although they went in 0-1 at half time to a Jamil Keita goal on 38 minutes they had dominated the first half with some entertaining football. Top scorer Darren Titre-Wilson headed his effort against the bar, The A's midfield controlled the game and had enough chances to have gone in three or four up. Johnson went on "The mood in the dressing room was positive and we were determined to make sure we weren't going to feel sorry for ourselves, and let it be the same old story with missed chances being punished by one mistake". Into the second half and another attack to the heart of the United defence resulted in a hand ball and penalty on 49 minutes, which Titre-Wilson took confidently, striking the ball with venom and leveling the scores. Tyrone Newton had a chance along with Kyle Green but both their efforts went over the bar from close range. This cup tie had to be played to a finish. Ryan Musselwhite was again confident in the Banstead goal with some excellent stops. The A's came off the pedal in the second half and didn't play as fluently as the first forty five minutes. Into the first period of extra time "Dominating play again and missing chance after chance" Johnson said. Aaron Cole-Bolt scored United's second against the run of play with 95 mins on the clock. United went close again but missed their chance. Darren Titre-Wilson popped up and scored with a superb header to the top left hand corner passed a stranded United keeper to level the scores on 104 minutes from inside the six yard box. Then to the delight of the home fans and his fellow players striker Kyle Green got his reward with the winner a cracking shot into the bottom left hand corner with two minutes left. The celebrations began with the final blow of the referee's whistle.


Epsom Athletic 4 Banstead Athletic 3 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic dominated the play all over the pitch in the first half. Jack Johnson the A's manager said of the first half "It was honestly the best footballing display I have seen at this level and a few above it". Goals came from Daniel Coombes after just six minutes, Darren Titre-Wilson added their second on thirty one, and James Robertson added their third on thirty four minutes. Into the half time break with Epsom Athletic not knowing what had hit them. It should have been game over but no-one had told Epsom. They came out reading from a different script, they got back into the game within a minute of the re-start after a mistake handed Rob Guest with their first goal. For some reason Banstead crumbled. Wayne Cathcart added a second on sixty minutes and it was game on. Banstead had no reply to Epsom's revival. Connor Young got the first of his two on sixty eight and his second on seventy nine. Banstead did have a chance for a share of the points but the usually reliable Titre-Wilson took a penalty but struck the bar with his effort. Jack Johnson finished by saying "We are still confident and we will go again and believe in the football we are playing will bring us success".


Banstead Athletic 2 South Kilburn 2 CCL First Division


This was another match the home team dominated in the first half. Chance after chance came their way but were not converted.

On twenty seven minutes though Banstead did get the breakthrough they had been looking for with a superb strike from Daniel Coombes that flew into the net from left side of the sixteen yard box. Their lead was short lived though as South Kilburn hit back with a stunning free kick from just outside the box from Dane Boothe. With Coombes being replaced at halftime by Kyle Green Banstead seemed to come off the pedal and they allowed Kilburn to get in front through Oyaka with a simple knock in four minutes into the half. Normal service was resumed when Tyrone Newton just in the 'D' of the visitors area in a neat move turned and hit the ball into their net to level up the scores. Last twenty minutes both teams were playing for the all important goal to claim all three points, but in the end they both had to settle for a point a piece.


Banstead Athletic 5 Sandhurst Town 0 CCL First Division


Banstead Athletic swept aside Sandhurst Town in very difficult weather conditions at Merland Rise last Saturday. With a well deserved hat-trick from Kyle Green and one each for David Burton and Jos'e Capita they tore Town apart over the ninety minutes. With the athletic Jeffrey Mukoro back in goal for Banstead it all started well for the A's with Green opening the scoring within the first three minutes from inside the visitors area. Banstead's Steve Lang was a thorn in Town's side all afternoon with good positional play and two assists. Banstead's second came from a cross from Darren Titre-Wilson down by the corner flag with Burton storming in and connecting with a volley that rifled into the top of the net. Banstead's third came from a Steve Lang free kick a knock down by Ted Fitzgerald in the area and another good finish by Green. With the rain still lashing down in the second half Green scored his third after getting behind the visitors defence on sixty minutes. The control Banstead had of the game showed in their slick passing and movement. Town didn't have an answer and to cap a great afternoon for Banstead Jos`e Capita in only his second game for the club scored their fifth. Jack Johnson was notably very pleased with his side's work rate. He said afterwards " Scoring five was brilliant,we have been working on being more effective in the final third, punishing teams with our domination and possession."


Staines Lammas 0 Banstead Athletic 0 CCL First Division


   "Going away to a team sitting second in the league was always going to be tough" said Jack Johnson the Banstead Athletic manager. He continued " With our four centre backs unavailable the whole team had to chip in today, and they did. We limited Staines Lammas to one chance from a corner. Had we had a little more quality in the final third we could have gone on and won the game". He finished by saying "This match was about Banstead Athletic being hard to break down and not concede any goals, we managed that well with our two centre backs for the day in Perry Braham and Dan Coombes the latter not a hundred percent fit. To keep two clean sheets in our last two league games in a row was great especially for Jeff Mukoro our keeper".

    Next up for Banstead is a derby match at home against Epsom Athletic this Saturday afternoon. Then a cup game away against Premier Division side Frimley Green on Tuesday night 12th Nov.


bottom of page